May 12, 2014

How (Not) To Become an Internet Personality.

     Hello, all.  G-star here.  I always recognize friends by how quickly they notice a new haircut.  If they compliment it right away, you know that either they're a good friend or they stalk you (there's one girl in my Basketball class whom I'm not sure about).  If they point it out like it's a statement, they're probably just observant.  If they say it like it's a question, as in "You got a haircut?" then they're probably just nice acquaintances.  And if they don't notice it or take a day or two to mention it, then they don't know you very well.  It's the most concerning when they don't notice that you got a neon colored streak in your hair.
     That's right, Starlets, I got that blue streak I've been talking about!  (Starlets...I kind of like that.  Like Potterheads or Owl Citizens.  Too bad it makes my fans [?] sound like teenage celebrities.  *shrug*)  My mom's (and now my) favorite hairstylist at a downtown salon is moving next month so we decided to get it done now.  Apparently it's my birthday present.  She had never used the blue dye before (I'm the first!) so the first time she put it in (after bleaching my beautiful brown hair *hair flip*) it turned this odd shade of sea green/silver.  I actually thought it looked pretty cool, but she was already going to the trouble of mixing a new batch so I didn't say anything.  Anyway, it turned out well and I'll include a picture below.
     I also got my hair cut.  Some people might call it boyish, but I prefer the term "manageable".  The streak was put in before the cut, so it got a little funky when she trimmed my bangs.  But I still like how it looks.
     Also, a happy Mothers' Day to moms everywhere, including my own!  Yesterday, as a present to the mom of the house, my family went to see that movie that just came out, Moms' Night Out.  My dad, brother and I thought it was ridiculously entertaining, but apparently the recipient of the gift got stressed out about all of it.  I looked over several times during the course of the film and never saw her smile even once.  To make up for it we had to go out and buy cake.
     I really liked the cab driver character, for some reason.  Probably because he had a British accent.  I favor those.  Why did you think I was a Potterhead?  Naturally it's not for the adventure and magic.
     The main character was supposed to be a "Mommy Blogger".  At the beginning of the movie she had stressed-out rants that, actually, I would've read, and three followers.  At the end when she posted this deep, metaphorical thing, she had 235 followers.
     By the end of the movie I was just jealous.
     Not to be ungrateful, I love and appreciate all you wonderful followers!  You're amazing!!!  But her sudden claim to fame was just unrealistic.  I mean, one post and suddenly she gains an extra 232 readers?  Personally, I thought that one entry was like most other really popular blogs out there: thinky stuff that isn't particularly entertaining yet is renowned for its greatness.  (I feel like I made every English teacher shudder right there.)  It also makes me wonder if that's why mine isn't particularly popular.  I've never liked serious content, or, as Patveli calls it, "real talk".  It makes me feel awkward.  That's the main reason I try to shy away from the darker topics in my entries.  MC finds it strange (nah, just annoying) that my main topic is myself, but what else would I talk about?  Many bloggers try to relate to their readers, but I'm not like many bloggers.  I know nothing about celebrities (I swear to God, I have no idea who Angelina Jolie is), don't go through many common situations that people may need advice on, or even really have anything that someone might vaguely recognize from their own life.  Seriously, I spend my time blogging, roleplaying, and reading manga.  Do you really think that I have much of a life to relate to?  MC and I spent LITERALLY ALL SATURDAY watching anime: Steins;Gate and The Devil is a Part-Timer.  (The latter was particularly entertaining.)  And if I strayed from my daily life I would have no choice but to end up in the shadows.  (See?!  Right there!  This paragraph is growing darker and darker!)  It makes me wonder what would happen if I really did start writing more serious entries.  Other than lose the few followers I currently have who read this for a few laughs, would I suddenly become an internet personality?  Hyperbole and a Half is a very popular blog (with its own omnibus!  I read it!) that's actually a bit similar to mine.  The big difference, though, is that the righter has many more experiences than I do to draw upon; also, while I focus on day-to-day topics, she writes whatever comes to mind that seems ridiculous at the time.  She also has funny pictures.  That probably helps.
     Okay.  Now that that particularly rant-like paragraph is trailing off into jokes, let us sally forth.  (I love that comic strip.)
     The school year is nearly over and my birthday is coming up.  (It's on a Monday.  Noooo.)  It was fun being a freshman...I guess?  Next year as a sophomore the Handshake Dynasty is going to do a little scavenger hunt involving cardstock figures I made of each member.  (Actually, I need to finish those.  I'll do requests, so just comment below for a character or, if it's a real person, include a picture!)  Prizes will be candy.  I suggested this to Patveli this year, but he said we should wait a year, since most students probably wouldn't take a bunch of freshman holding something like this seriously.  It does make sense, and we would have everything set by then.  This summer I promised myself to finally work on Zane's comic, which I have been putting off until now.  That might actually be a good thing, though, since my drawing style has improved quite a bit since I last messed with it.  I plan to lock myself in a room with no manga, books, or distractions besides a speaker setup with J-pop, Owl City, The Jellyrox, and Paramore blasting.  Of course, every time I swear to do this I end up balking out and reading a book.  So this time I have to be careful!
     I would gladly go on for hours about this stuff, but I won't put you through that, so I'll go now.  Since I posted today, the next entry probably won't be until...maybe Thursday?  Probably later, unless I have something I really want to write about.  Until then, this is G-star, signing off.


No comments:

Post a Comment