May 7, 2014

PLOT TWIST (No One Will Trade With Meeee/The Legend of the Backwards Slingshot)!!

     Hello, all.  G-star here.  I don't know why I put myself through this, forcing myself to post on the one day of the week I have less computer access time than any other...I suppose I'm a masochist of sorts.  The kind who enjoys stress.
     But there is a beautiful thing: my brother is at Outdoor School for the week.  It's this thing the sixth-graders at my old school do in spring where they go to a relatively nearby camp with a couple other schools and do all sorts of activities and games.  It's sort of like summer camp, but educational and during spring.  I really enjoyed it when I went...we got to see huge predatory birds (>v<) and there was this one "ride" called the Flying Squirrel.  All the counselors' camp names were birds, and the guy who was overseeing the Squirrel was called Bald Eagle.  There were three ways to ride the harness attached to a rope next to a gully.  You could just stand there and the other campers, dragging a pully, would just lift you straight up; you could run and jump off the edge of the gully as they lifted you and end up just swinging back and forth (my favorite); and then there was the last one...the counselor would grab your harness and drag you backwards, then let go as the others pulled the rope, sending you flying.
     The Slingshot.
     You could ride it twice, and I had intended on doing the run-and-jump twice, but Bald Eagle had other ideas.  On my second turn, as I prepared to make a flying leap off the cliff, he grabbed the front of my harness, ran the opposite direction, and let go.  A BACKWARDS SLINGSHOT.
     It was terrifying, yet exhilarating.  I screamed my head off the entire time, and when I landed I fell down.  My first adrenaline rush.
     Anyway, this year it's at a different camp, with different counselors.  (Thank God.)  For some reason beyond my comprehension, my brother has approved my use of his Nintendo 3DS while he's away.  It's an overnight camp, so that's actually quite an honor.  Understandably, I was ecstatic (as I can be), especially since it's the system I use to play Pokemon X.
     Currently, I have two goals in Pokemon X; catch Mewtwo and fill the Pokedex.  Right now I'm fulfilling both by training an all-new team to defeat the Elite 4 (AKA L337 Quad).  And I'm doing this by circumnavigating the entire journey again.  (For some reason, it actually does go in a circle.  It looks like a spiderweb with Lumiose City at the center...)  As I do this I'm catching all the Pokemon I never bothered with, both because I hated them (in the case of Bunnelby and Fletchling) and because I had a Pokeball shortage at that time.  I was poor.  Technically I was a homeless chick beating people up for spare change.
     That's really all Pokemon journeys are, isn't it?  You wander around, get the animals you force to fight for you buff, beat up overly confident strangers to buy miniscule, cramped, airtight cages so you can eventually enslave one of every race and then -- PLOT TWIST -- you are suddenly looked upon, with your brute strength, to take down a criminal organization that's about to monopolize your business.  So you them up too, get tons of cash doing so, and end up looking like a hero because of it.  And then, when you beat the benevolent leader of the country with your ridiculously overpowered fire-spewing lizards, you finally have the control and money you want...but then, suddenly, no one will battle you.  You've already beat them all.  So you slowly run out of money, rely on non-explained free government health care to magically "heal" your guard animals, (because that's all they really are now; animals that protect you from the wild beasts that jump you whenever you walk through weeds,) and slowly wither away as you begin to rely on the neon-colored pet food that appears whenever you play with your guard animals, even though they hate you now for letting them get knocked unconscious so many times they're loopy.  And then...the one Pokemon that allowed you to defeat all your enemies, most of which you never saw again, decides to turn on you, the lone human in this desolate world, and then... (Okay, that last bit was a ripoff of Pokemon Lost Silver creepypasta, but the rest was all mine...logical minds ruin people's childhoods.)
      Wow.  That was intense.  X]  Now to the topic I had actually intended...
      Wonder Trade and the GTS have done, mind the pun, wonders for my second goal of filling the 'Dex.  If there are any Pokemon I can't find then I just catch common ones and put them up on the GTS or go chance on Wonder Trade.  Of course, you can't put legendaries from other games up on the GTS and it's unlikely that someone would trade it in Wonder Trade, so you have to work hard for those.  That's where one-on-one trading comes in.
     People have been requesting trades with me ever since I put "I have Eevee" in my shoutout.  It's ridiculous.  There's one spot where I find and catch them by the boatload, but apparently they're still ridiculously popular....  Unfortunately, I have some setbacks when it comes to trading. 
     1.  I don't have any shinies.  Normal Pokemon are perfectly fine, and besides, they're rare.  Also, they've lost value because of the Action Replay, which can let you turn up to 10 Pokemon at a time shiny.  I don't have one, obviously.
     2.  I don't trade high-level Pokemon.  Usually the Pokemon the other person offers are level 50 or above, but I on the other hand would never train a Pokemon just to trade it away later.  I only train Pokemon I intend on either using a lot in battle or evolving for the records.  This makes even trades very difficult.
     3.  The only legendary I have is Xerneas.  My brother has accounts on a few other games so, potentially, he could transfer legendaries from those to X and Y.  Unfortunately, his free trial of Pokebank already expired.  My only hope at this point is that at some point he'll subscribe to Pokebank and transfer the Pokemon I don't have, including legendaries, to my account; it only has to be for a second to register them in the Pokedex.  Unfortunately, neither of us have a credit card or bank account.
     On the note of #2, there are plenty of Pokemon I train both to evolve and fight with.  Currently I'm leveling up a Kirlia (that was a Ralts I got over the GTS) and a Clefairy (which I received as a Cleffa).  Obviously, I don't have to level up Clefairy to evolve it, but I like to make sure my Pokemon are high level before I evolve them to their final form because it would be embarrassing to have a stage 2 Pokemon be hit with a one-shot KO, but also because sometimes I like the second form a lot more than the third, mainly because they're faster.  For instance, the starters.  Look at those things.  The only exceptions are Treecko, Chimchar, Snivy, and Froakie.  (Okay, so I wouldn't say 'only'...)  They're so dang SLOW.  Venusaur especially bugs me.  I haven't touched my Ivysaur for months simply because I don't want it to evolve...into THAT.  A good Pokemon, ruined.
     I'm not looking for haters.  But slow Pokemon really bug me unless they're worth it.  Like my Golurk that I spent time training at the beginning of my journey.  (At the same time as being huge, awesome, and a dedication to alchemy fans everywhere, it's the mascot of the Handshake Dynasty.  Go Lurk.)  Unless they have specific moves that only work if they're slower than the opposing Pokemon (like Copycat, Encore, Payback, or Revenge), I usually try to increase their speed stat a lot.  I love it when I'm doing an internet battle and I bring out my Golurk, and the opponent thinks "Oh, that thing's slow and lurky.  I'll drag this out."  NOPE.  Use Earthquake.  Take that, moron.  Weren't expecting that, were you?
     Along with increasing the stats that would be the most helpful considering the Pokemon's attacks, I also like to increase their lowest stat just so they can do things no one would expect.  It's so much fun.  Not that I ever really do internet battles...they really, really tick me off.  I mainly depend on my level and type advantages, but when they're all lowered to lvl 50 and the opponent's smart enough to switch out when they're at a disadvantage, I lose immediately.  It's ridiculously frustrating.  Plus I can't use items.  I think I prefer preprogrammed battles.
     I'll be continuing my journey throughout this week, so I'll keep you updated.  Hopefully the upcoming posts won't be as long as this one.  - _ -;;  Until then, this is G-star, signing off.

No comments:

Post a Comment