April 2, 2014

Mini-Ramble: Gaming in Literature (The Braces Control Me).

     Hello all, G-star here.  First things first; a big happy birthday to MC!  She turned 15 today, two months before I do.... -_-  But whatever.  For some odd reason I'm wide awake first period and then start dozing off second period.  And second period is always ridiculously boring; first two terms it was French, now it's Physics.  Of course, I generally enjoy Physics, but we're currently going over everything I already learned at the beginning of Mechanics, so it'll be quite boring until we start learning about gravity, velocity, force, etc.  Until then I'll have to live with re-learning the metric system and 'sig figs'. 
     I wear braces (or more like they wear me; they have all control), but I get them off fairly soon.  Probably some time in the next month or two.  Anyway, until I do I have to wear these thick rubber bands on a few brackets.  I have no idea what they're for, but I don't understand a word the doctor says when he's messing with my mouth, so that's not really a surprise.  I was yawning second period (my aforementioned 'snooze class') and they both snapped.  I'm just giving up until I'm more awake.
     I started a book today called Ready Player One by Ernest Cline.  It was recommended by a friend from Book Club, and it's great.  I've always liked books about intensely realistic video games (like Deadly Pink by Vivian Vande Velde), and this is one of the best for sure.  (Apparently there's even a movie.)  I wish I could play Oasis.
     A similar media about video games is the .Hack// manga series.  I'm sorry to the big fans, but I really didn't like most of it, because, although the art was great, I didn't understand any of the plot at all.  .Hack//Twilight was great and made sense, but none of the others did.  I've heard it said that you have to play the games and watch the anime for it to make much sense, but I think that sounds like too much trouble.  There was another gaming novel that I started reading, Game Boys: Triumph, Heartbreak, and the Quest For Cash in the Battleground of Competitive Gaming by Michael Kane, anticipating an interesting realistic fiction, but instead it was like a documentary; nonfiction, no consistent characters, no particular plot, just information.  I was disappointed.  If you like that sort of thing and wish to learn more about professional gaming, whatever, go at it, but I couldn't appreciate it.
     Until tomorrow, this is G-star, signing off.

No comments:

Post a Comment