April 26, 2014

The Reason Behind My L33t Sp34k (Shooting Down the Sad Kitty Hat).

     Hello, all.  G-star here.  Sorry I haven't posted lately; I'm at the last bit of the curriculum in Business Class and haven't had any computer time at home.  Also, there hasn't been anything worth talking about...
     Bibbidy asked me a couple days ago how many fandoms I was a part of that weren't anime or manga.  I had to think about it surprisingly hard, only ending up with a whopping eleven, but the first one I counted was Megatokyo (I even had an omnibus in my hand at the time).  I've loved the thing for about a year now.  I found the first omnibus on display at the library and quickly became obsessed; I read the omnibus and then spent the next several months catching up to the web comic on the site.  I pitied Piro's lack of self-confidence, cheered on Kimiko's pluckiness, gasped at Erika's hidden secret (I'll never tell), and laughed at Largo's majorly self-inflicted pain.
     Miho, on the other hand, always kind of weirded me out, and by the most recent posts I gave up trying to understand what she was saying...but that didn't stop me from desperately wanting that sad kitty hat she and Piro wear so often.  <3  It's in their Megagear store, but I'm not sure how my parents would react to my wanting to order something online from a site they've never heard of.
     For some reason I always related to Sera(phim), Piro's fashionable, angelic conscience.  I don't know why.  I don't care how I look, and I definitely can't give advice about what's right and wrong.  Maybe because our names sound similar...?
     Fred Gallagher has been updating it recently, if rarely, and that makes my life so much better.  Unlike Applegeeks, which hasn't had a new comic since 2010 (thanks for ruining my life, guys T-T) this is still a continuing story, four omnibi long and then some.
     The two main characters, Piro and Largo, are gamers of different sorts: Piro is an otaku, obsessed with dating sims and who turns to shojo manga situations to solutions to his problems.  In fact, he's probably what got me really into manga in the first place.  Quite often Piro's seen wearing a really cute black hat with big cat ears folded back, sold in the website store as "Sad Kitty Hat".  Needless to say, I WANT IT.
     MC asked me just today what I wanted for my birthday and that was the first thing I named.  She shot me down faster than my cat eats her dinner.  Unfortunately, there's not much else I want...there's a t-shirt from Applegeeks that I'm pretty sure they don't sell but that I could fairly easily make for myself.  Haha, this sounds selfish.  But she asked.
     Anyway, until about chapter 3 I pronounced Piro's name as Pyro.  I was convinced that made sense until I heard (I dunno where) someone pronounce it "Pee-row".  I still think it sounds odd...
     Largo, on the other hand, specializes in first-person shooters.  He's apparently extremely paranoid...or maybe he simply sees things others don't.  To him, everyone is a zombie and they must all be eliminated.  Somehow he has constant access to destructive weapons.  That pretty much sums him up.
     This guy taught me how to speak l33t.  Sure, the only times I use it productively are when a username I want is taken, but it's kinda fun.  Sometimes I'll catch myself saying "j0" or texting "j00".  Also, doing chats with l33t-sp34k is fun too.  (Not that I do chat rooms like ever...seriously.  Just when I'm messaging with rl friends.)
     So.  There's an extremely vague description and review for Fred Gallagher's (and, technically, Rodney Caston's) Megatokyo web comic.  Check it out!  It's been in my "Check These Out" link list for a while now, so...
     I really want to make my own web comic.  Most are based off real people and completely random or unrealistic plots.  And that works for me.  I'd have myself, MC, and Patveli.  Possibly more, but I don't like having lots of characters.  I can draw well enough to maybe pull it off, but my main problem is drawing fast enough.  Like I've said before, I'm a perfectionist, and it would take forever to get it exactly how I want.  Not to mention the humor part of it would be tricky with making each strip a stand-alone.  But that doesn't change the fact that I desperately want to do it...
     If I ever manage to pull it off, this is the first place I'll post it.  I probably won't be able to post until maybe midway through next week.  Until then, this is G-star, signing off.

No comments:

Post a Comment