February 13, 2014

Everything You Didn't Want to Know About What Valentine's Day Means To Me And More (The Deadly Double-Space).

     Hello, all.  G-star here.  Sorry this is a little late, but I've spent the last three hours making valentines. ^_^'  I promised myself I'd do them yesterday, but I was distracted by this little thing called the internet and so nothing got done.  Every year, I make handmade valentines for all my friends and assorted teachers and tape candies on them.  It bugs me when people buy those mass-produced cardboard things with an animated character saying "Happy Valentine's Day!" on it.  Though I'm not absolutely sure myself if my way is worth it...
     Speaking of Valentine's day, do you have any plans for tomorrow?  I sure as heck don't.  Never dated, never been in a relationship (though I came close, but that's a story for another day), and I've never received a romantic valentine from a boy. '^'  I get my daily allowance of romance from shojo manga, and they overdo it, even if it is fun to watch.  I read a mini story by...um...honestly, I can't quite remember who wrote it (maybe Hari Tokeino?), but it was about a girl whose dream was for it to snow during her first kiss; or a better way of putting it (since that makes it sound like she wants God to celebrate that landmark with her), wants to have her first kiss while it snows.  This inspired me (but really, what other kind of inspiration can you get from shojo manga?) to have a really cheesy dream: to kiss a boy for the first time on Valentine's Day.  It's always been my favorite holiday because I get to see just how much the people I love care about me by how much thought they put into their cards...and because I get a bunch of candy. -3-  That's also why I enjoy Halloween, by the way.  Anyway, someday I want to write a love comic about Valentine's Day.
     But what is Valentine's Day, anyway?  (This is starting to sound like a documentary.  Not a good sign.)  When I was a kid I would listen to these CD dramas called Adventures in Odyssey.  (I spent most of my childhood trying to figure out what state "Odyssey" was in.  Still don't know.)  Sometimes they would record reenactments of Bible stories or historical events.  This included the story of St. Valentine.  To make a long story relatively short, St. Valentine was a priest who would secretly marry illegal couples.  In that time, there was a huge war going on, and soldiers were legally prevented from marrying in order to keep them fighting well and homeless families cropping up from husbands who'd died in the war.  Valentine was sent to prison where he met a blind servant girl and...wait, I think I may be mixing up my stories.  Whatever.  That's who St. Valentine was.  He was martyred later.  My French teacher mentioned today that Valentine's Day really had no romantic purposes until some year I can't specifically remember, but that's really not true.  In fact, the whole holiday was based around true love. <3  Romantic, isn't it?  Lots of death....
     Today I had an orthodontist appointment.  (Dramatic subject change power, GO!)  Evidently I'll be able to get my braces off in about three months.
     I just thought that was important.
     We're working on a final essay for the book we've been reading in IHS Lit., The Samurai's Garden, and today we did some peer editing.  The teacher walked around to help some students personally, and when she passed my table she pointed out that, when I write, I put two spaces after periods.vvMy response was "What?  Um, yeah, that's what you're supposed to do.  No dur. -_-"  She chuckled (chuckled?  What the heck?) and said "Oh, well, you don't normally do that unless you're using a typewriter.  But it's quaint."  WUH?  QUAINT?  THIS OBVIOUS FACT OF TYPING?  We have a problem here.  Apparently no one else I know does this.  My mother and computer teacher both taught me all my life to double-space after sentence-ending punctuation.  THIS IS NOTHING NEW.  Who's right?
     After some Binging, I have discovered various articles on the question, none of them agreeing with each other.  The first one that came up was by someone ranting about how you absolutely shouldn't use two spaces and if you do YOU DESERVE TO BE KILLED BY YOUR WORD PROCESSOR.  (Okay, maybe not that dramatic, but there was some serious hatin' going on in that essay.)  Another person said that it was okay, and was "a holdover from the typewriter days", but wasn't absolutely necessary.  Heck with this.  I've been typing this way for ten years and I'm not stopping now.
     Well, I've been chatting away aimlessly for several overly long paragraphs, and you deserve a break.  Anyway, I'm probably going to post again tomorrow for a specifically Valentine's-Day-oriented entry.  Not that I really have anything more to talk about...stupid constantly open mouth.
     I hope your true love admits his dedication to you tomorrow.  Or you at least get a chocolate heart or too.  Until then, this is G-star, signing off.
     

No comments:

Post a Comment