March 23, 2014

I Can't Help But Hate Change (The Cleaning Theory).

      Hello, all.  G-star here.  Sorry I haven't posted; honestly, part of it is I was just stalling for lack of subject, but also I've had an absolutely packed weekend.  Thursday Patveli, Stulte, MC and I had intended to have a Super Metroid Anniversary Party (honestly, it was all Patveli's idea), but Patveli had a band contest so we put it off 'til Friday.  Instead, MC put together a....tea party.  Mhm.  Now, I can't say it wasn't fun...we did a sort of American Idol thing, did each others' makeup (I found out I'm pretty good with eye shadow), and watched Safe Haven...which, I admit, was a good movie.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

      Alright, I originally had this whole spiel about the other stuff we did this weekend, but after I went over it I realized it was boring as heck, so I won't put you through that kind of torture.  Instead, I'll....just say whatever comes to to mind.  It's worked out before, right?
      Well, it's Spring Break and my pre-planned weekend is over.  For the rest of the week I had intended on working on all sorts of drawings, including my comic, art for MC's and my telovelic, and a picture I'm working on specifically for G+.  Unfortunately, I also have to clean my room, horror of horrors.  The problem with this is that I have far lower standards than my mom; where she sees a pile of stuff next to my bed, I see a bunch of things that I use regularly and are conveniently accessible from my bed.  So why would I move them?  Besides, even if I do put them on one of my many overfilled shelves, I'll just pull them back down to use within a week.  There's nothing you can do about that, so why not just keep them where I use them?  I don't see the point.
      Usually, I put away a few things that I see need putting away (like clothes, papers, school supplies, etc.,) and then read manga until the preset "cleaning time" is up.  It works for me, and it works for my parents because there's a visible difference.  
      Surprisingly often, though, as I'm 'organizing', I end up finding a pile of old drawings and spend an hour flipping through them.  I have all sorts scattered around my room; only about half are finished, though.  Often I get jealous of myself when I see that my drawing style two years ago was better than it is now.  >x<  Doesn't that defy the principle of "practice makes perfect"?!  I've tried all sorts of different styles, but at the beginning it was mostly based off of Konami Soda's ChocoMimi (I read this in middle school; gimme a break) as I couldn't really draw hands or feet, but then later when I read Otomen I used Aya Kanno's approach to feet: either don't draw from the shin down or make the feet pointy little triangles.  *shrug*  Works for me.  Recently I've finally succeeded in drawing vaguely realistic feet, but now I can't draw legs right.... *sigh*  Every time I gain a skill I lose one.  I really need to find the perfect drawing style or I have no hope of finishing a comic.
      Of course, I've seen a couple of artists whose styles change halfway through the series.  Noizi Ito, artist for The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, changed styles sometime in volume 8.  It threw me off a little, but I must say it was improvement on the slightly off-kilter lines and odd proportions of the earlier volumes.  That being said, it can also ruin a good series.  The main reason I stopped reading Fruits Basket by Natsuki Takaya was the sudden and dramatic change of art.  (Of course, another reason was I couldn't find the next volume, but that was fairly minor).  Suddenly the eyes were rounder, the faces sharper, and the legs three feet longer.  Also, the plot altered from humorous and mysterious to confusing and intensely dramatic.  When I read the first volume of the new drawing style, it took me a few minutes to figure out which two characters were talking in the first scene.  By the time I figured out it was Tohru and Shigure, I didn't understand the plot.  Takaya-san also has another (unfinished?  Not sure, they only ever had the first omnibus at the library) series called Tsubasa: Those With Wings.  It was great to begin with, then at the end of the omnibus it had a sort of sneak peek with an obvious (and annoying) time skip, plus the new drawing style she began using in the later volumes of Fruits Basket.  Things like that are disappointing and confusing; I get used to seeing the characters one way and then suddenly they look entirely different.  It's frustrating.
     Haha, I had intended on summarizing my weekend but ended up ranting about manga drawing styles.  I love it.  I'll try to post some of my older (finished) drawings to show you what my style used to be!  Until then, this is G-star, signing off.

No comments:

Post a Comment