November 13, 2013

I Think That Square-Shaped Blob Above Nevada is....Alaska (Don't Do This At Home/Public Rambling)?

     Hello, all.  G-star here...realizing that it probably would've made things easier for everyone if I had just waited a day to talk about my weird dream.  Because now I have nothing to talk about...or do I?  (I'm just confusing myself.  This Quicken program I'm using in BC does nothing to help the matter.)  Let me see...oh!  I think I might have something.
     Firstly, to introduce this random topic, how knowledgeable should a teacher be in their subject?  Should they have a college degree?  Had all A+'s in high school in their subject?  Well, I don't know about that, but I think they should at least be able to spell a word essential to their specialty....  Yes, I'm going somewhere with this, be patient.  My health teacher was giving a lecture (well, sort of) and was writing on the board while he did so.  I'm a grammar/spelling Nazi (as MC well knows; I am her editor, after all) and I was watching his writing carefully, when he spelled "hygiene" wrong (like "hygene" -.-).  He also spelled "tetanus" wrong (without the "a").  I feel I should be concerned, especially since he's an IHS (International High School) teacher.  I originally thought IHS would just be a really advanced version of high school, but it turns out that it's no such thing (at least not yet); instead, we just learn about what we normally would, except about other countries more than ours.  Of course, in Geography, it doesn't make a difference, as I bet they're studying other countries in the regular geography classes as well.  It actually sort of annoys me that we're not studying America's geography, as I never did that to begin with.  All through middle school, we studied the Middle East, and that was it.  Even in American History, we didn't do any maps (or even capitals).  Heck, I can't even name all the states, much less all fifty capitals!  Apparently, in 4th grade at that school (the year before I started attending), they spend the whole year studying American history and geography.  The class does state reports and everything.  The closest I've gotten to learning the states was when I was home schooled (sometime in 3rd or 4th grade, I think) when we spent maybe a week learning about the states, one at a time.  Neither my brother nor I could focus, though, so we stopped after Alaska (they were alphabetized).  So I know maybe four state capitals, but that's my limit.  I think during Thanksgiving break I may do some personal study, because, if I want to get a college scholarship, they're going to expect me to be able point out North Dakota on a map.
    I just spent a giant paragraph ranting about how I'm completely useless in American geography.  (Well, no dur, Captain Obvious. -3-) Even I think that was boring.  I'm sorry.  I'll try to do better.
     Speaking of talking aimlessly, in IHS Health we're working on public speaking.  At first I thought that was completely un-health-related, but apparently the topic on the twenty-minute speeches we'll be writing (at least, I think that's how long they're supposed to be; I passed out when the teacher said "twenty minutes") will have to do with what we've been learning recently -- that would be vaccines and antibiotics -- or simply be something health-related.  The only one I can think of that's even slightly interesting-sounding to me is "why anime limits are completely unrealistic and you should never try those situations at home".  I'm going to ask the teacher, but he'll probably say no.  It'd be fun, though...I was going to use Hayate the Combat Butler as examples; it would work well, considering how much Hayate can withstand.  He would be the "don't do this at home, kids" guy who ends up in the hospital.  Thing is, it's supposed to be a formal speech, and I don't think talking like I'm writing a blog is very formal...oh well.  I'll try.  I'm sorry I never posted the next part of my story on Saturday; it never crossed my mind in the midst of the excitement on going to the library.  Maybe sometime I'll talk about my library trips...they're definitely more interesting than geography.  Until Saturday, G-star out.

No comments:

Post a Comment